Dal with Mutton
Dal with mutton known commonly as Dalcha is a famous north Indian and Hyderabad Nawabi Mughal dish. Dalcha is a side dish for Briyani. Dalcha is served at Muslim marriages along with Briyani and Ghee Rice.
INGREDIENTS for Mutton Dalcha:
- Mutton (along with bones) -½ kg
- Toor Dal(yellow lentil) -1/2 cup
- Mixed dals (gram, masoor dal) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder -½ tsp
- Potato -1
- Brinjal – 1
- Onions -1
- Pumpkin -1 piece
- Fenugreek leaves – 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes – 2
- Tamarind (size of a lime)
- Ghee for frying
- Salt to taste
Any curry powder and ginger garlic paste you have or
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
- Pepper corns – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder -2 tsp
- Cumin powder -1 tsp
- A small piece of ginger
- 4 pods garlic
- Cinnamon – 2
- Bay leaf -1
- Green chillies-2
- Coriander leaves a few sprigs
PREPARATION for Mutton Dalcha :
- Clean mutton and cut into small pieces. Wash and cut the vegetables into pieces.
- Finely chop onions,coriander leaves, green chillies and fenugreek leaves.
- Wash and clean the dals and soak in water for ½ an hour.
- In a pressure cooker add the Dal and mutton pieces with 2 cups of water in it and cook for 20 minutes or for 5-6 whistles.
- Make juice out of the soaked tamarind.
- Grind all the ingredients for masala to a smooth paste using tamarind water.Except cinnamon,cardamom,bay leaf, and cloves.
- Heat ghee in a hard bottomed vessel.Add the spices fry well. Now add the grinded masalas fry for few minutes .
- Add the vegetables,tomatoes ,stir fry along with the remaining tamarind water.
- Cook on medium flame until the veggies are half cooked. Now add the cooked mutton with Dal to the gravy.
- Add salt to taste, a little water and mix well. Let it simmer on a low fire until thick.
- Add 1/2 cup coconut milk and garnish the mutton Dal gravy (dalcha) with coriander leaves before serving.
Incoming search terms:
- mutton dalcha recipe
- mutton dalcha
- mutton dalcha indian recipe