Vermicelli Sago Kheer
Tiny pearls of sago with translucent vermicelli sweetened with milk and sugar is Vermicelli Sago SWEET KHEER. The bubbles simply float through your mouth as a surprise. This sago (tapioca) porridge is rich and creamy, divine after a Main course. Vietnamese prepare this with thick coconut milk. It is a famous Moroccan dessert too with flavor of orange blossom and cinnamon.
This thickens when cool so you can add extra milk or simply serve the thick vermicelli sago pudding chilled topped with vanilla ice cream will be yummy for all the sweet tooth people around. The various variety of this SWEET KHEER dessert available is too much to resist. Sweet Kheer made of broken rice,badam,with fruitmix, semolina,the variety goes on .
In south it is called payasam, semiya payasam, javarisi payasam. In north it is well known as MITA KHEER. Enjoy the taste of EasyRecipes sweetness made by Mrs.Shafeena Rasheed at a home party.
INGREDIENTS for Sweet Kheer
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Sago/Sabudana -1/4 cup
- Milk- 5 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cashew – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee -2 tsp
- Condensed Milk -1/2 cup
- Crushed Badam to decorate
- Orange blossom water – optional.
- Thick Coconut milk- 1/4 cup- optional.
PREPARATION of Sweet Kheer
- Soak sago in water for 15 minutes. In a hard bottomed vessel, heat ghee add cashew raisins, till nice light golden brown. Keep it aside.
- To a vessel add milk and allow to boil. When milk starts boiling add soaked sabudana, cook for a minute, then followed by slightly roasted vermicelli.
- Do not overcook vermicelli as this will lead to clogging of the Payasam. Cook until the sago becomes transparent.
- Add sugar mix well, till it dissolves, add cardamom powder and stir well.
- Add the golden fried cashew and raisins in ghee to the Sweet kheer, mix well and the Vermicelli Sago Kheer is ready, add little saffron, crushed to the Sweet kheer, for extra flavor.
- A festival recipe easy to make for any special occasions like Pongal, diwali and Eid. This is one of everyone’s favorite recipe in any Indian family, Mothers special dessert.
- It is an important dessert in any festive occasions,some love to taste this delicious dessert with Pappad, any savor snacks like Vada, puffed poori with kheer is a divine combination, one cannot forget that combination.
- Adding sweetened condensed milk will make it taste like milk pudding, coarsely powdered cashew will give a crunchy taste to the Vermicelli Payasam.