PONGAL IN INDIA IS A THANKSGIVING FESTIVAL FOR THE HARVEST.IN TAMIL THE WORD PONGAL MEANS “BOILING OVER”.THEY USUALLY BOIL OVER WHILE PREPARING IT .THUS TO INDICATE THE OVERFLOW OF PROSPERITY IN EVERY HOUSES.
It is traditionally celebrated at the time of harvest of crops and hence is a celebration of the prosperity associated with the event.It is a THANKSIVING FESTIVAL TO THE FARMERS,FOR THEIR HARDWORKING.
Pongal is a great Indian harvest festival, celebrated every year in mid January to mark the reaping of crops and a special thanksgiving to the sun God.Pongal festival lasts for four days.
Celebrations include drawing of Kolam, swinging & cooking of delicious Pongal.
There are two varieties of PONGAL DISHES, namely, SARKARAI PONGAL (sweet pongal), KHARA PONGAL(spicy pongal), also called VEN PONGAL in Tamil Nadu.
- Rice-1 cup
- Moong dal-1/4 cup
- Jeera-1 1/2 tsp
- Ginger julienne-1 tblsp
- Peppercorns-1 tsp
- Fresh pepper powder-1 tsp
- A few Cashew nuts broken
- Dessicated Coconut-1/2 cup
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Ghee-4 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Water-4 cups
- Curry leaves(optional)
- Fry the Moong dal a little until you get a nice flavor.Soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Mix the dal with the rice, add 2 -3 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. (the rice should cook very very soft)
- Add turmeric powder, coconut, few peppercorns,salt and 1-2 tblsp of ghee,ginger to the rice and pressure cook till done.
- Now take a pan add the rest of Ghee to it, more the ghee better it tastes, add jeera, pepper corns,curry leaves and cashew nuts,fry till golden brown,add this to the cooked rice,along with pepper powder for extra flavor and chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing.
- The pongal dish is ready!!! can add some more ghee at the end if you need. It is best eaten fresh and Hot!!, You can serve it with Coconut Chutney,with side dishes of vadai and sambhar.
- Health wise this suites best even for kids, since it contains only pepper,which is good for all sorts of stomach and throat disorders.good for old people (without ghee),as it gets easily digested.
Some Pongal Kolam Rangoli Designs for you……
picture courtesy: kolangal.kamalascorner.com
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]PONGAL [FESTIVAL RECIPE],
Incoming search terms:
- rangoli designs with dots
- Pongal Kolam
- kolam designs
- pongal rangoli designs
- rangoli kolam
- kolam with dots
- kolam designs with dots
- simple rangoli designs
- rangoli designs