This South Indian origin tangy Tomato Rice makes a great one-dish meal.Tomato Rice is one of those simplest variety rice dish very simple to prepare.Learn how to make Tomato Rice by following this easy recipe.
- Basmati rice-4 cups
- Butter-3-4 tbs
- Water-6 cups
- Ripe big tomatoes-15
- Green chillies slit-7
- Big onions finely sliced-4
- Mint leaves (pudina)-a handful
- Springs of curry leaves-a few
- Big bundle of coriander leaves finely chopped-1
- Ginger – garlic paste-2 tblsp
- Oil -1/4 cup
- Bay leaf-2(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Lime juice-3 – 4 tblsp
- Wash the basmati rice and par boil them in 5 cups of water.The rice should be cooked 3/4th.
- Steam tomatoes, peel off the skin, mash well and keep aside.Best to use plum tomatoes for good tangy taste.
- Pour oil in a vessel,add bay leaves, fry the onions till slight brown, lower flame and mix in ginger – garlic paste, green chillies, curry leaves, mint leaves, coriander leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in salt to taste, turmeric powder and mashed tomato pulp and stir well.Cook until the oil gets separated and the gravy is thick.
- Mix in this mixture to the cooked rice and add the remaining 1cup of water, cover the vessel leave to stir fry.
- When completely cooked, fluff up with a spatula and transfer to a serving dish and decorate with chopped coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some lime juice on top and cover before serving. Serve hot,with a onion yogurt salad.this tastes great in lunch box meal,with a crispy potato fry as side dish,or simply with pickle and boiled egg curry.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]TOMATO RICE,